Cochlear Implant Speech Processor Upgrade and Replacement Program
At Hearing Australia, we offer services through our Cochlear Implant Support Program, which includes two important components to eligible cochlear implantees:
1. Repairs and Maintenance: We provide comprehensive repair and maintenance services for all eligible clients who have a cochlear implant, ensuring their devices are in optimal working condition. This includes young Australians under 26 years of age and those older than 26 that are eligible through the Office of Hearing Services Community Service Obligation program, particularly those that are over 65 years of age.
2. Replacement and Upgrade of Speech Processors: We offer replacement and upgrade services for young Australians under 26 years of age. This includes providing them with the latest speech processors to enhance their hearing experience.
We provide support for one speech processor per ear to optimize your hearing experience.
All requests for replacement and upgrade speech processors should be submitted via your cochlear implant clinic.
The first priority of the cochlear implant support program is to ensure that clients who use a cochlear implant are kept “on-air” by:
- Providing repairs, replacement parts and batteries necessary to keep the speech processor working.
- Replacing speech processors that are lost or no longer able to be repaired (clients under 26 years only).
The second priority is to provide access to the latest technology that improves speech understanding for the listener. Our upgrade program focuses on enhancing spoken language access while considering added benefits like comfort and convenience.
Speech processor upgrade
If you have a working speech processor, you may apply for an upgrade if:
- You are an eligible Hearing Australia client under 26 years of age who is part of the Hearing Services Maintenance Program
- You consistently use your current speech processor
- Your processor meets one of the criteria listed below:
*Before applying for Kanso 2, a trial is required, consistent with Cochlear’s recommendations.
If you are an eligible Hearing Australia client under 26 years of age who is part of the Hearing Services Maintenance Program, we will provide a replacement speech processor if your device has been lost or damaged beyond repair.
The replacement speech processor will be the same model as the one that was lost or damaged unless the lost/damaged processor also meets the criteria for an upgrade.
Applications to replace a lost speech processor must be accompanied by a Statutory Declaration that describes:
- when the processor was lost and
- where the processor was lost and
- the steps that have been taken to find it again.
Applications to replace a processor that has been damaged beyond repair must be accompanied by a report from the relevant repair service.
Last updated – March 21, 2023