Hearing aids are an important investment in your health and represent great value for money in terms of the changes they make to your life.
Do all health insurers cover the cost of hearing aids?
It's essential to check your coverage as not all health insurers provide this benefit. In most cases, only policies with top-level extras offer coverage for hearing devices.
What should I look for when choosing an insurer?
- Firstly, look at the extras cover to make sure hearing aids are included.
- Check how much money you’re likely to get back. You’ll find many insurers have a set amount they pay out for hearing aids and this varies widely.
- Be conscious of waiting periods.
- Find out whether the payment is a one-off or regular. For example, while some insurers will only make one payment, others will cover new devices every five years.
Where can I easily compare the covers of different health insurers?
It can be overwhelming to navigate through multiple sources and understand the various covers and costs. Fortunately, there are user-friendly websites like Private Health, where you can conveniently compare all the information in one place. Explore your options and find the right health insurance that suits your needs and budget.
What about damage to hearing aids? Is that covered?
Some health insurers will cover damage to hearing aids. Alternatively, you may be able to claim on your home and contents insurance, so it’s worth checking with your home insurance provider. And if you’re off on holiday, you should find out if your travel insurance will cover any damage that may happen while you’re away.
Is there any other financial assistance available?
- Some people can receive financial assistance from the government through the Australian Government Hearing Services Program. Click here to find out if you’re eligible.
- People who are eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme may receive financial support for hearing aids. Visit NDIS for more information.
- If you’re not eligible for financial assistance, you may be able to have a hearing aid fitted at a reduced cost through a hearing aid bank. Click here to find out more.